Tuesday 9 October 2007

October 9th


October 9th 1974: Oskar Schindler dies

German businessman Oskar Schindler, credited with saving 1,200 Jews from the Holocaust, dies at the age of 66.His history was the story line behind an oscar winning movie named "Schindler's List". A member of the Nazi party, he ran an enamel works factory in Kraków, Poland, employing workers from the nearby Jewish ghetto. When the ghetto was liquidated, he persuaded Nazi officials to allow the transfer of his workers to the Plaszow labor camp, thus saving them from deportation to the death camps. In 1944, all Jews at Plaszow were sent to Auschwitz, but Schindler, at great risk to himself, bribed officials into allowing him to keep his workers and set up a factory in a safer location in occupied Czechoslovakia. By the war's end, he was penniless, but he had saved 1,200 Jews. In 1962, he was declared a Righteous Gentile by Yad VaShem, Israel's official agency for remembering the Holocaust. According to his wishes, he was buried in Israel at the Catholic cemetery on Mount Zion.

October 9th 1990:

Hundreds of Chinese queue to buy 'Big Macs' when McDonald's opens its first resturant in China in Shenzhen.

October 9th 2007 : Struggling to sleep the whole night, a midnight call from overseas, mistaken to be from the home country but was from an allied nation, that too being an old friend couldnt avoid his call inspite it was half past midnight. Felt miserable after many years fighting out to sleep with no reason behind the scene. Tried to overcome the feeling once I hung up the overseas phone call, but what happened.... All my efforts were in vain... It was new to me... Never happened before... So got back to the same old stream of longing for the same old friendly angel to bless me good sleep.. The purpose was served in a very polite and receivable manner. Should thank the angel for taking enough care to get be back on normal track... Hats off to her service and I would cherish this day in my list of memorable events. Like it was the day of food feast in 1990 in China,also my angel requested me to have food atleast twice a day regularly till my marriage, I gave my word.. As I always say "Mens' words are words" I would stick on to this policy which I was longing to do. You know what, this angel is amazing and its doing wonders to me... What else could I say ? I'm very much lucky to be blessed by the angel.

No comments: